Currently, there are 5 generations of Amazon Echo Dot available to purchase. Since the first generation, which was released in 2016, these smart speakers have gained popularity among users due to the features like built-in voice assistant ‘Alexa’ or the flexibility of the device to pair with iOS or Android smartphones. Such smart speakers may malfunction anytime, so restarting or factory resetting them can solve the issue. As the resetting procedure varies with every generation, this guide has all the details you need to restart, or factory reset the Amazon Echo Dot of every generation.
Amazon Echo Dot: How to Restart or Factory Reset (2023)
To restart the Amazon Echo Dot of every generation, turn off the Switch or Plug-out the power adapter to turn it off and plug in the adapter to turn the device on again. Since factory resetting is different for each generation, follow these steps:
1. Factory Reset First Generation Amazon Echo Dot
- To factory reset Echo Dot (gen 1), use a paper clip pin or any small pin that can enter the reset hole at the base of your speaker.
- Hold for a few seconds until Echo Dot turns off and on.
- Now the speaker will enter the setup mode, and you can pair your smartphone again using the Alexa app.
2. Factory Reset Second Generation Amazon Echo Dot
- To factory reset the second generation of Amazon Echo Dot, press and hold the ‘Microphone’ button and the ‘Volume Down’ button together.
- The lights will turn off, and after a few seconds, the lights turn back on.
- Release the buttons, and the orange light will glow.
- Now you can set up Amazon Echo Dot using the Alexa app.
3. Factory Reset Third, Fourth, or Fifth Generation Amazon Echo Dot
The procedure for factory resetting the third, fourth, and fifth generations is the same, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Press and hold the Action button, which is a round button on your speaker.
- The lights will turn off and then turn on.
- The speaker goes into setup mode, and the device has been reset.
That’s everything covered on how to restart or factory reset Amazon Echo Dot. Also, check out our other guides, such as How to delete an Amazon account or How to hide orders on Amazon App, Desktop, and Alexa.