Chromecast helps to connect various Google devices at the same time. However, you might get issues while setting up the Chromecast on Google Home. You might have tried restarting your device several times, but the error may continue. Also, finding the fixes for unknown errors can be annoying. Hence, most users opt for factory resetting their Google Chromecast device, and for the same, this guide will help you.
Google Chromecast: How to Factory Reset (2023)
You can factory reset your Google Chromecast device using the reset button, Google Home, or from your PC, and the detailed steps for the same are mentioned below:
1. Factory Reset using the Google Home app
- On your Android or iPhone device, open the Google Home app.
- Now tap on your Chromecast device name and tap the ‘Settings’ gear.
- On the ‘Device Settings’ window, tap on the ‘Factory reset device’ option.
- If a confirmation prompt appears, tap on the ‘Factory reset device’ button, and the device will reset to its factory settings.
2. Factory reset Chromecast using the Reset Button
If the above method fails, you can try hard resetting your Google Chromecast, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Keep your Chromecast device plugged into your TV’s HDMI port.
- Now press and hold the ‘Reset’ button on your Chromecast device until the LED light starts blinking.
- On the 1st generation Chromecast, this button is located on the backside of the dongle. If you are using the 2nd and 3rd generation Chromecast, the reset button is located at the side of the dongle.
- Once the LED light blinks to white, release the button, and the Chromecast will reset to factory settings.
3. Reset Chromecast using a PC or Google TV
You can factory reset Google Chromecast using Google TV or PC. However, the older generation doesn’t support the factory resetting feature from Google TV. The prerequisite requirement for resetting is to connect your Chromecast to your PC or Google TV. After pairing the devices, follow the below-mentioned steps to factory reset:
- To factory reset using Google TV, click on your Profile icon and select Settings > System > About > Factory Reset> Confirm Factory reset > Erase everything.
- To factory reset using a PC, open the Chromecast app, and select the Chromecast device you want to reset. Now, go to Settings > Restore factory settings > Reset. Your Chromecast device will reset to factory settings.
That’s everything covered on how to factory reset Google Chromecast. Also, check out our other guides such as How to connect Chromebook to TV or How to factory reset Amazon Echo Dot.