Dungeons and Dragons has been around since 1974 and as such there exists a ton of lore for it. Hence, it comes as no surprise that there are several unique creatures like the Flail Snail, Tarrasque, Ettercap, and more. However, one of the normal ones that you can get in Baldur’s Gate 3 is the Owlbear cub.
As the name implies it is a fusion of an owl and a bear. Recruiting one won’t be exactly easy though, and requires dealing with the goblins. Worry not, using this guide you should be able to get one in no time.
How to Get the Owlbear Cub in Baldur’s Gate 3
You have to go to the Owlbear’s cave near Blighted village to find the cub first. Here you can kill its mother or wait for goblins to take the cub. No matter what you choose to do, you can find the cub at Goblin Camp. Next, you can either play Krolla’s game, convince/intimidate her, or purchase the cub from her in exchange for gold. Eventually, the cub will come to your camp.
This was just the basics of how you can get it, here is a step-by-step guide on what you need to do:
Where to Find the Owlbear Cub in BG3
- To find the Owlbear Cub, go to the forest northeast of Blighted Village. Its rough coordinates are X: 87 and Y: 447.
- You can either be merciful to the mother bear or attack and kill her.
- In case you pass the Animal Handling performance check the Owlbear will reveal the cub. Here go with the option “Hold out your arms – you mean no harm” then leave the cave.
- If you do attack her, then after you kill the mother Owlbear, interact with the cub so that it can recognize you. Make sure you don’t attack or kill it accidentally in the process. If that happens you will lose the cub.
How to Get the Owlbear Cub from Krolla at Goblin Camp
After your first encounter with the cub, you have to take a long rest and go to the Goblin Camp.
- Here, you can find the cub which you previously met, near the entrance.
- Interact with the cub and then talk to the Goblin Krolla.
- She will mention Chicken-chasin’ in this conversation but will not tell you its rules until you have talked to Volo the Bard.
- Go back to her and she will explain the game to you, here choose the option “This is cruel. I won’t be part of it”.
- Next, interact with the Owlbear cub and pass the Animal Handling check to make it realize you aren’t there to harm it.
- Next, let it smell your hands so that it can return to you at the camp.
- Now, go to Krolla and talk to her, here choose the option “I’m leaving – and the owlbear’s coming with me”.
- Now, there are 2 ways to get the cub:
- Purchase the cub from her.
- Use your Illithid powers.
- After purchasing it or passing the check, the cub will run away and after a few nights will come to find you at the camp.
Owlbear Doesn’t Come to Camp Fix
There is a chance that even after doing everything explained above correctly, the cub still doesn’t arrive at the camp. This could be a glitch and there are two simple things you can try that may fix it.
- Take a long rest
- Progress the story a bit
Use the above tricks then check back in on the camp and you should be able to meet the cub soon. This was just the first encounter, feed it and in the next encounter treat its wounds. After that the cub will stay at your camp.
That’s all for how you can rescue and bring the Owlbear cub to your camp in Baldur’s Gate 3. If you haven’t started the second act yet then I suggest you check out our Act 1 checklist. I suggest you also check out our BG3 section for help on other guides like where to find Gortash, how to play with friends, and more.