Launched with iOS 14 and enhanced with iOS 15, one of the most awaited features on iPhone is certainly the Apple translation service which, unlike the Google counterpart, is integrated into the system. It doesn’t support as many languages as Google Translate, and it certainly doesn’t include all of its text input methods but it works well, plus it protects users’ privacy. In this guide, we will tell you how to turn on automatic translation in the Safari browser on your iPhone.
How to Enable Automatic Translation in Safari on iPhone
Here’s how to automatically translate web pages in Safari on your iPhone, whether it is English, Mandarin Chinese, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Arabic, Portuguese, and Russian; most of the languages are currently supported, with many more languages to be added later.
So, to translate a web page in Safari on iPhone, follow the steps below:
- Open the page on your iPhone Safari browser in a foreign language.
- Tap the “aA” button in the address bar.
- Touch the desired translation option. If the system asks you to enable the translation, confirm the operation.
- Repeat the process to return to the original language page.
To add additional languages to translate from/to on your iPhone in the Safari browser, perform the following steps:
- Open Settings
- Select General > Language and Region.
- Touch Add language.
- Select a language from the list.
- Tap Continue using English.
From now on, the languages added to the list will automatically be shown among the automatic translation options in the “aA” menu.
Translate Text or Voice
With the Translate app, you can translate voice, text, and conversations into all supported languages. You can download a language to translate to your device even without a connection.
Translations from and to Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin – Mainland China), Chinese (Mandarin – Taiwan), English (US), English (UK), French (France), German (Germany), Italian (Italy), Japanese, Korean, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Spanish (Spain) are supported.
To translate a conversation on iPhone, follow the steps below:
- Tap Translate, select the languages you are interested in, then do one of the following:
- Tap Enter Text, enter a phrase, then tap Go.
- Or, tap the Listen button, then say a phrase.
- When the translation is shown, do this:
- Tap the Play button to hear the pronunciation.
- Or save the translation as a favorite: by tapping the Add to Favorites button.
- Tap the Dictionary button, to look up its definition.
- Or tap Full Screen to show the translation to another person.
To enable offline translation without the Internet, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings > Translate.
- Tap Downloaded Languages, then the download button next to the languages you want to download.
- Turn on the On Device Mode switch.
That is all you need to know about how to turn on automatic translation in Safari on iPhone. In the meanwhile, do not forget to check out our other guides here: How to move Safari Search Bar to the top on iPhone with iOS 16, and How to Block Websites in Safari on iPhone and iPad.