Access to some services offered by Apple, including the App Store, Siri, and Maps, will no longer be possible in the coming months for users using Macs, iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches, and Apple TVs running on older versions of the operating systems. Some of these features can be restored or maintained by updating the operating system to the latest version available for the affected device. In this guide, we will tell you how to update all of your Apple devices in detail below.
How to Update All of Your Apple Devices (2023)
In this article, you will find out detailed information to update all your Apple devices, such as Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Apple TV. However, the affected Apple operating systems, all introduced in 2017, will continue to work allowing the use of iCloud, but not other Apple services on those not updated. The systems NOT supported anymore are as follows:
- From iOS 11 to 11.2.6
- macOS 10.13 to 10.13.3
- From watchOS 4 to 4.2.3
- tvOS 11 to 11.2.6
Users may see a notification that their OS version no longer supports Apple services. Those who have non-updated systems will have to download the operating system updates to the latest version available to continue using these services.
How to update iPhone and iPad
You can update your iPhone and iPad to the latest possible version directly over the air, wirelessly directly from the device, without having to connect the device to a Mac or Windows PC. The procedure we suggest to update iPhone and iPad is as follows:
- Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
- Connect the device to power and the internet via Wi-Fi.
- Go to Settings > General and select Software Update.
- If multiple software update options are available, choose the one you want to install (update the current system or upgrade to the next version).
- Select “Install Now”. If instead you see the Download and Install option, select it to download the update, then enter the code and finally “Install now”.
How to update Mac
Macs can be updated by following the steps below:
- Opening the App Store app.
- Click the Updates tab at the top of the App Store window.
- If the App Store shows one or more updates not installed, click the Update button to install each update.
How to update Apple TV
You can set Apple TV to automatically install updates as they become available by going to Settings > System > Software Updates and turning on Automatic Updates. Instead, simply follow these steps to manually update Apple TV:
- Navigate to Settings > System > Software Updates and select Update Software.
- If an update is available, select Download and Install.
- Wait for Apple TV to download the update. You must keep Apple TV connected to the Internet and connected to power until the update is complete.
- Once the download is complete, Apple TV will restart, prepare for the update, and then install it. After the update is complete, Apple TV will automatically restart.
How to update Apple Watch
You can download the latest version of watchOS directly to your Apple Watch or use your iPhone to update. Before upgrading, make sure your iPhone is updated to the latest version of iOS, your Apple Watch has at least 50% charge, and your iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
Here’s how to manually update Apple Watch using iPhone:
- On Phone, open the Watch app, then tap the My Watch tab.
- Tap General > Software Update.
- At this point it is possible to download the update: iPhone or Apple Watch may ask for the security code to be entered.
- Wait for the progress wheel to appear on your Apple Watch. The update may take several minutes to an hour to complete.
- While the update is complete, it’s a good idea to leave Apple Watch on the charger. Don’t restart iPhone or Apple Watch or quit the
- Apple Watch app. After the update is complete, Apple Watch will restart automatically.
That is all you need to know about how to update all of your Apple devices, such as Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Apple TV. In the meantime, check out our other guides: How to Track Apple Pay Purchases or Orders in Apple Wallet, and How to Fix Apple Weather Not Working Error on iPhone with iOS 16.