The amount of time that we spend with our computers is quite a lot. Thus, we need to maintain proper hygiene around our computer system, right? Then why don’t you start with your mousepad? Cleaning a mousepad does not take a lot of effort and saves you from many health-related issues. A dirty mousepad may not compliment your computer as much as a cleaned mousepad. There are many ways to get your mousepad free of filth and dirt in no time. Since you use your mousepad daily, it needs to be cleaned at particular intervals. So in this guide, we will discuss the easiest methods to clean your mousepad. Also, we will discuss whether you can wash your mousepad in a washing machine or not.
How to Properly Clean a Mousepad at Home
Image Source: ‘u/Tike_Bison’ (Reddit)
There are two kinds of mousepads that you may generally see around you. The first is a plastic/fabric or non-RGB mousepad and the second one is an RGB mousepad. An RGB mousepad has lights and other electronic components embedded in it, which makes it important for you to clean it with proper precautions. Luckily, things are not so tricky with a plastic/fabric mousepad as you can clean it more efficiently. We have explained how to clean a non-RGB mousepad and an RGB mousepad right below:
How to Clean a Fabric/Plastic Mousepad
Cleaning a fabric or plastic mousepad is a fast and easy process. Here are the steps for the same:
For Fabric Mousepad:
- Soak your mousepad in a tub/bucket full of water.
- Apply some shampoo or mild soap to it.
- Rub your mousepad gently with a soft cloth.
- You may also use a soft brush but do not be too harsh.
- Try and remove all the dirt and dust particles from your mousepad.
- Rinse and pat it with a dry cloth.
- Let your mousepad dry for a day before using it again.
Note: Do not keep your mousepad out in the sun to dry since it may affect it badly. Spead your mousepad in a moderate, dry place so that it can get moisture free.
For Plastic Mousepad:
- Spray some water on your mousepad with the help of a spray bottle.
- Next, apply some shampoo and rub it gently with a cloth.
- Get rid of the dirt on your mousepad.
- Wash it thoroughly and pat it with a dry cloth.
- Lastly, let your mousepad dry.
This is how you can clean your mousepad if it is made up of plastic or fabric.
How to Clean an RGB Mousepad?
Cleaning an RGB mousepad requires you to be extra careful or you may end up damaging its lights or other electronic components. Follow these steps to clean an RGB mousepad:
- Turn off your RGB mousepad and disconnect it from your computer.
- Apply some mild soap on a clean wet cloth.
- Wring the cloth as much as you can.
- Rub the soapy cloth gently over your mousepad and avoid touching the edges.
- Remove dirt from the mousepad using the same cloth.
- Get a clean, dry cloth and use it to rinse off the soap.
- Repeat the process a few more times and make sure that no soap is left on your mousepad.
- Keep your mousepad in a dry place and let it get free of moisture before using it again.
Can I Wash My Mousepad in a Washing Machine?
The most common question that every user has is whether it is a good idea to wash a mousepad in a washing machine or not. Fortunately, you can put your mousepad in a washing machine to clean it. But, this process depends upon the material that your mousepad is made up of. And, you will not wash an RGB mousepad in a washing machine, right?
Here is a list of materials that comply with washing machines:
If your mousepad is based on any of these materials, then you can clean it in a washing machine too. Though, do not forget to take proper precautions like:
- Do not use bleach.
- Set the washing machine to light mode. (Less power)
- Use cold water to wash the mousepad.
These are all the ways to clean a mousepad, either RGB or non-RGB. Always ensure that your mousepad, along with other components of your PC, is cleaned time-to-time. Cleaning a mousepad extends its life period and allows you to be free from unwanted health hazards. Do check out some other guides from us related to your computer’s mouse: How to Right-Click Without a Mouse on Windows PC and How to Disassemble Logitech Mouse.