According to reports, all Twitch data, from the source code to some confidential documents such as streamers’ payout, would have been leaked online.
The first to reveal the news is Twitter user @Sinoc229, who claims that “Twitch.tv got leaked. Like, the entire website; Source code with comments for the website and various console/phone versions, references to an unreleased steam competitor, payouts, encrypted passwords that kinda thing.”
https://t.co/7vTDeRA9vt got leaked. Like, the entire website; Source code with comments for the website and various console/phone versions, refrences to an unreleased steam competitor, payouts, encrypted passwords that kinda thing.
Might wana change your passwords.
— Sinoc (@Sinoc229) October 6, 2021
The leak comes from 4Chan, where the link to a 125GB torrent called “Twitch Leaks Part One” was posted today. We can confirm that the torrent is publicly available along with the streamer’s payout, while many other sources claim that the data is authentic. Twitch would be aware of the source code leak, and the data would only be updated as of this Monday.
Among the Twitch leaked data there would be:
- The entire Twitch source code with comment history “dating back to its beginnings”
- Payment reports from creators from 2019
- Mobile, desktop, and console Twitch client
- Proprietary SDKs and internal AWS services used by Twitch
- “Any other property Twitch owns” including IGDB and CurseForge
- An unreleased Steam competitor, codenamed Vapor, from Amazon Game Studios
- Twitch’s internal ‘red teaming’ tools (designed to improve platform security by having staff pretend to be hackers)
The torrent also includes users’ encrypted passwords: although this does not mean that personal data is available to everyone, we recommend changing it and adding two-factor authentication to your account. In the leak, there would also be the Unity graphics engine code for a game called Vapeworld, which appears to be chat software based on Vapor, an unannounced and not yet released competitor of Steam.
The anonymous leaker stated that this is only the first part of the leak, but has not revealed what he plans to release in the future.