Featuring massively vast open worlds and biomes, all adventurers need to keep a map in Minecraft. Be it for digging the Diamonds or exploring the caves, you can utilize a map in many ways. While you can craft a map using the crafting table, you can upgrade or expand it with a Cartography table. But what are the materials or resources needed for that?
Don’t worry, check out our guide on how to make a map in Minecraft. In our guide, you can also find steps to expand it and the materials needed to craft one. Luckily, the below steps apply to all platforms. So, here’s everything you need to know.
How to Make a Minecraft Map
You can make a map by placing the compass in the middle of the Crafting table, and then putting 8 Papers in the surrounding blocks.
Follow the below steps:
- Make a crafting table using 4 Wood Planks of any type if you haven’t already.
- For 8 papers, you must mine 9 Sugar Cane near swamps or desert biomes. You can use any tool to cut and collect them.
- Interact with the Crafting table to open the crafting grid (3×3)
- After collecting, place 3 Sugar Cane in the middle row of the Crating Grid to make 3 paper. Using the same crafting method, you can make 9 papers.
- For Compass, you need to place 1 Redstone Dust in the middle of the crafting grid. Then, place 4 Iron Ingots in the adjacent empty blocks.
- Once your compass is crafted, place it at the center of the crafting grid and put 8 Papers in the remaining blocks to craft a map.
Now, you can find an Empty Locator map in your Inventory. So, head to the Inventory to equip and use a Map whenever in need. Note that you can also buy maps from a Cartographer for 8 Emeralds. To make a Cartographer, you can place a Cartography table in front of an unemployed Villager. You can also trade maps in exchange for Cartographer’s chests, libraries, sunken ships, or other materials.
How to Expand a Map
You can use a Cartography table to expand a map in Minecraft. This will create a zoomed-out version of the map and level up the map giving you a better insight of it. So, here’s how to do so:
- Interact with the Cartography table.
- Combine 1 paper and your crafted Empty map.
- You can repeat the above steps to increase the size of the maps four times.
That’s all about how to make a map in Minecraft. If you found this guide helpful, check out our guides on how to install Vanilla Tweaks, how to use Circle Generator, and explore more Minecraft Guides in our dedicated section right here on TechnClub.