There are many users who are having crashing problems when upgrading their Windows 10 computers through Windows Update. Even after using the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB drive, and using the same gives an error message that says “There was a problem running this tool” followed by different error codes such as 0x8007005-0x9002, 800704DD – 0x90016 or 0x80070015. So, how can one fix this issue? In this guide, we will tell you all the solutions to resolve the Media Creation Tool error you are getting on your Windows PC.
Fix: Media Creation Tool Error “There was a problem running this tool”
The solution to the Media Creation Tool error “There was a problem running this tool” is simple and immediate and consists in manually unblocking the execution of the tool, recognized as a common application by Windows 10. Follow the steps given below to fix the Media Creation Tool error below:
- Go to the Download folder (or the one where you saved the Media Creation Tool .exe file, and then right-click on the corresponding file.
- Then select Properties.
- In the Properties window, in the General tab, put the check on the Unblock item, at the bottom right.
- After that click on Apply and OK to confirm.
- That’s all, you can then resume running your Media creation Tool, completing the automatic operations for creating Windows 10 ISO files.
Also, try the other workarounds given below to fix the error with the Media Creation Tool.
Run Media Creation Tool with Admin Rights
- If you have made a bootable USB with Media Creation Tool, simply connect it first to your Windows PC via USB.
- Then right-click on its Media Creation Tool icon.
- Finally, select the Run as administrator option to open the same file. This will solve the Media Creation Tool error once and for all.
Turn Off Antivirus
You can try to turn off any antivirus installed on your PC and then try to use the bootable USB drive with the Media Creation Tool. It might be possible that the security software is conflicting with the tool and hence you are getting the error.
Other than that, NON-Microsoft Antivirus/Firewalls that may be present in the system must be carefully uninstalled using proprietary removers as well. Any software for alleged “Optimizations” and/or “Cleanups” must be uninstalled, without exception. Any software for emulating optical drives (for example Daemon Tools and similar) must be uninstalled, without exception.
That’s all there is to know about how to fix the Media Creation Tool error “There was a problem running this tool”. In the meanwhile, do check out our similar types of guides here: How to Download Windows 11 ISO File with the Media Creation Tool, and How to Download Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.