There are thousands of Instagram users who watch or share live videos every day, a sign that this media format is growing rapidly. Based on these stats, the company became aware, thanks to the feedback received, that users wanted to experiment with real-time video sharing with a smaller group of people, in a private way. From this request, the functionality was developed and introduced, now available to all users, which allows you to start video chats on Instagram Direct. In this guide, we will teach you how to make two or group video calls on Instagram.
Instagram: How to Make Two or Group Video Calls (2023)
The group video calls feature is available to give friends a new way to spend time together – even when they’re not actually together, Instagram explained at the introduction of the feature which now offers the experience of real-time video in a private space helping users feel close and connected to friends when they can’t be together.
Points to be noted:
- To start a video chat on Instagram you need to tap the camera icon which can be seen in the upper right corner of a discussion in Direct.
- It is possible to video call a single contact or a group of contacts with the possibility of keeping the conversation active for as long as you want, without time limits.
- Instagram also allows you to minimize the video window and continue chatting while doing other things inside the app (not outside the app).
- To make a private video call via Instagram you don’t need to have a phone number – which is necessary with WhatsApp – and there is no time limit.
- If a video chat is active in a group discussion that you are not participating in, the camera icon will appear blue and you can tap it to join people who are already in video chat.
- Finally, to exit a video call you need to tap the red phone icon at the bottom. Video chats are available on the Instagram apps for iOS and Android.
How to use video calling on Instagram
- To start a video call on Instagram you need to tap the airplane symbol at the top right of the feed.
- Then tap the video camera symbol at the top right.
- After that, you need to select people from the list at the bottom or tap ‘Search’ to find the right person. The person or group you are calling receives a notification about the call.
- Any person from whom you have accepted a direct message can video call you. To stop someone from video calling you, you can block them or turn off conversation notifications.
- Note that it is possible to video call up to 6 people via direct messages on Instagram.
- During an already-started video call, you can add another person by tapping ‘Add’ and then tapping ‘Add’ next to the username you want to add to the list below or tap ‘Search’ to search for someone.
- The added person receives a notification about the call.
- After adding a new person, a new Direct group conversation starts. You can add more people to this new conversation, up to 6 people at a time, in the same video call.
That is all you need to know about how to make two or group video calls on Instagram. In the meantime, do not forget to check our similar types of Instagram Guides on our website TechNClub.com