Despite all the features it offers, Sony’s PS4 and PS5 console is not compatible with any Bluetooth headphones or earphones other than those designed by the brand. Therefore, it is officially impossible to pair certain devices such as AirPods to it. Unofficially, the story is different since there is a solution to circumvent this restriction. In this guide, you will learn how to connect your AirPods to your PS4 and PS5 quite easily.
AirPods: How to Connect It to PS4
As mentioned on the top, to connect your AirPods to your PS4, you will need a Bluetooth USB dongle. This small external device is easy to use and offers good autonomy thanks to an integrated battery.
You will find different models on Amazon, like the YMOO B06T1.
Before connecting your two devices, make sure that your AirPods and your adapter are (if necessary) sufficiently charged, then follow the steps given below:
- Connect the Bluetooth adapter to your PlayStation.
- Open the case of your AirPods, with them inside.
- Press and hold its configuration button until its LED and that of the adapter stop flashing.
- On your PS4 or PS5 console, go to Settings > Devices > Audio devices.
- In Input Devices, choose your adapter.
- In Output Devices, select Headphones connected to the controller.
- Now you’re ready to play with your AirPods in your ears.
How to Connect AirPods to a PS5
To check if your Apple wireless headphones can be paired with your latest generation Sony console, there are a few steps to follow:
- Go to the settings of your Playstation 5.
- Under the Accessories tab, choose the Bluetooth Accessories option.
- Next, open the AirPods case, then press its button.
- To the question “Do you want to register this Bluetooth accessory” that appears on your screen, answer Yes.
You will see it, most of the time, a message will warn you that the connection is impossible. In this case, there is the same workaround as for the PS4, which is to use a compatible Bluetooth adapter. Then, follow the steps below:
- Connect the Bluetooth adapter to your PS5.
- Put it in pairing mode.
- Place your AirPods in their charging case and keep them open.
- Press and hold the button on the case until the LED on the Bluetooth adapter turns on solid.
- Note that most Bluetooth adapters do not support the microphone.
That is everything you need to know about how to connect AirPods to your PS4 and PS5. While you are here, do not forget to check out our other guides on How to Stop your PS5 from Turning On automatically with the TV, and How to Change the NAT Type on your PS5.